Frequent lower back pain is one of the most common disorders that people in the united states suffer. Unfortunately, 31 million Americans experience pain in the lower back at any time of their life.
This time I would like to discuss the mechanism and the solution for the frequent lower back pain.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the cause of frequent lower back pain?
- 2 How to solve the release of the SI joint’s tightness to reduce the lower back pain?
- 3 Conclusion
What is the cause of frequent lower back pain?
We have frequent lower back pain because of many factors, including accidents, injuries, misalignment of the pelvis, bad posture, etc.
From my experience as an acupuncturist and certified athletic trainer, many patients who suffer from lower back pain have SI joint tightness.
What is SI joint?
SI joint is the joint between the sacrum and ilium. This joint attached much external rotation muscle, including gluteal muscles. And it plays a significant role in rotating the pelvis.
However, once this joint gets tight up and won’t move your pelvis correctly, it ends up happening to tighten up QL muscle located on the lower back, causing the pain.
How to solve the release of the SI joint’s tightness to reduce the lower back pain?
So, the key to improving your lower back pain is to release SI joint tightness. There are four easy tips you can do at home.
- Take a bath with Epsom Salt.
- Acupuncture and moxibustion
- Chinese herbs
1. Take a bath with Epsom salt.
Heat increases the blood flow and helps to reduce pain or inflammation.
- Prepare 100 degrees of hot water in the bathtub.
- Put a handful of Epsom salt in it. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and promotes even more blood circulation.
- Soak in the tub for 20-30 minutes until you sweat. It promotes sweating and reduces pain.
There are McKenzie method home exercises that release the lower back muscle tension. In addition, there are seven different exercises that you can do at home to ease the pain.
For example, Extension in lying exercise is the most valuable and effective first-aid and procedure in the treatment of lower back pain:
- Remain to face down and place your hands under your shoulder in the press-up position
- Straighten your elbows and push your body up as far as you can tolerate.
- It is essential that you completely relax the pelvis, hips, and legs when you do.
- Keep your pelvis, hips, and legs hanging and allow your lower back to tilt.
- When you have maintained this position for a second or two, you can lower yourself to the starting position.
- You repeat this cycle.
- It would help if you tried to raise your upper body a little bit higher, and your back is supposed to be extended as much as possible with your arms straighten.
- When your arms are straight, remember to hold for a second or two.
It is the most important exercise. You may maintain the sag for longer than one or two seconds if you feel the pain reduces.
3. Acupuncture and moxibustion
Acupuncture is one of the oriental medicine treatments that has 4000 years of history in China. We use fine needles to release inflammation and reduce pain. Even WHO recommends having acupuncture for lower back pain.
GB25 is one of the most important acupuncture points to release the SI joint and QL muscle.
It is located under the 12th rib. You can press and hold the point for 10 seconds as you breathe in and breath out. Repeat it 10 times a day.
4. Chinese Herbs for Frequent Lower Back Pain
There are several Chinese herbs that would work for lower back pain. I want to introduce you to one of the Chinese herbs that are effective for the lower back.
First, I want you to check these questions.
- Do you have frequent lower back pain?
- Do you have frequent urination?
- Please touch your lower back. Do you feel cold on your back?
- Are you tired all the time?
If you have lower back pain with these other symptoms, these are the signs of Kidney Deficiency from traditional Chinese medicine.
The kidney is the source of energy, and the lower back is the primary source. So when you have pain with these associated with symptoms, it’s a sign of kidney deficiency.
Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan
- lower back pain
- cold lower back
- frequent urination
Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan helps to warm the kidney and reduce pain. Yang Energy allows us to be active, vital, and responsible for function, warmth, and movement.
The primary ingredient is Rehmannia, and this herb helps replenish the kidney.
Where can you get the Chinese herbs?
YourKampo.com is the new Online Chinese prescription service.
First, you answer 3 minutes long questionnaire about your chief complaints and general questions like your digestions and sleep disorders, etc.
Then, our specialist diagnoses your condition and chooses the best Chinese herbs out of 1000 herbs.
Here is the link that you can go and get your best Chinese herbs for frequent lower back pain.
In conclusion, frequent lower back pain can be caused by SI joint tightness.
Firstly, please understand the mechanism of lower back pain due to SI joint and QL muscles.
Secondly, please try these four tips for frequent lower back pain to see if your symptom goes away.
Finally, I hope it helps those who are suffering from these annoying symptoms.
Recommended article to read together
Please feel welcome to comment if you have any questions about this post.
Sayonara till next post.
About Author: Satoru Ozawa – Doctor of Oriental Medicine, an acupuncturist, and a Chinese herb specialist.